Application deadlines for the Transnational German Studies (TNGS) Master’s programme and Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters (EMJM) scholarships
1st Phase (for TNGS applications with EMJM scholarships):
09 December 2022 – 23 February 2023
2nd Phase (for TNGS applications without EMJM scholarship)
24 February 2023* – 21 April 2023
*Second phase will only open after the candidates from the first phase have been sorted! Keep checking the application portal.
3rd Phase (for TNGS applications without EMJM scholarship)
17 July 2023 – 25 July 2023
Application for remaining study places
Remaining study places (without EMJM scholarship) will be awarded until the 1st of August 2023.
Please check the faculty’s calendar.
Information on Erasmus Mundus scholarship
The Erasmus Mundus scholarship covers travel expenses, visa fees, housing and living costs calculated on a monthly basis (of €1,400/month) for the entire period if enrolled students complete the study programme. This period comprises 24 months corresponding to requirements of the TNGS Master programme, incl. courses, research work, internship activities as well as the preparation and defence of the Master’s thesis.
The scholarship will only be awarded to full-time enrolled students. The scholarship is calculated as follows: 1,400 €/month x 24 months = a total of 33,600 € per scholarship. For the second TNGS-EMJM cohort (2023/24-2024/25), 15 EMJM scholarships are expected to be awarded to students from around the world. Students who have already received an EMJM scholarship cannot apply for another scholarship under the EMJM programme.
TNGS-studies without Erasmus Mundus-scholarship
In principle, all TNGS students without an EMJM scholarship also receive grants to cover TNGS tuition fees and travel expenses (where applicable including insurance costs) required for the TNGS programme.
1. Proof of Bachelor’s degree
Bachelor’s degree in Humanities or equivalent degree, which is recognized at all partner universities. The degree shall contain at least 50 ECTS credit points or equivalent in the field of German Studies.
2. Proof of German language proficiency at the level B2 of the Common European
Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). The following certificates or equivalents are accepted: the Deutsche Sprachdiplom der KMK – level 2 – (DSD II), a certificate from the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber (DSH 1), the Goethe- Zertifikat B2 (all variants accepted), telc Deutsch B2, the TestDaF certificate with at least four sections at level TDN 3, the Österreichische Sprachdiplom (ÖSD) B2, a certificate showing a passing grade on the Feststellungsprüfung for the subject German at a Studienkolleg or a higher education institution. The testing date may not be more than three years old at the time of application.
3. Proof of English language proficiency at the level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
The following certificates or equivalents are accepted: a degree of a Higher education institution in an English-speaking program, Preliminary English Test (PET; University of Cambridge) or a higher level, IELTS (International English Language Testing System), at least 4,0 points, TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), 127 (computer-based test, CBT), 43 (internet-based test, IBT), 443 (paper-based test, PBT), Telc English B1. The testing date may not be more than three years old at the time of application.
4. Motivation letter / Letter of recommendation
Applicants must submit a motivation letter as well as a letter of recommendation written by a professor/lecturer in German Studies.
5. Sum up: What do you need to upload on the University of Porto application portal?
- Officially authenticated copy of your university degree diploma
- Officially authenticated copy of your Transcript of Records (with details of your academic performance, including ECTS credits – or equivalent – and classifications)
- Both language certificates from institutions mentioned above
- Copy of your ID card (EU)/ passport (EU or non-EU)
- Cover letter on your motivation for participating on the course and on your future career plans (in German)
- Recommendation letter from one of your professors / lecturers in the area of German Studies (in German or English)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
Any other questions??
If you have any other questions about application requirements, application procedure and the costs of the programme, please contact the transnational coordinator (email@example.com).